Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Interview with Scistitch

I interviewed Scistitch; a producer from New Orleans via Sound Cloud.

1. How would you describe your music? How would you descibe both your method and and attitude towards producing electronic music?

A: It's certainly hard to describe with just one genre for sure as I listen to tons of different music. I guess I would definitely say dark and aggressive, though I do enjoy and have tracks that are light and fun! (Some unreleased stuff, keep in store for that.) :) I have a very experimental method when it comes to my producing, most of the time I have no idea what I'm going to write when I sit down, I seldom go out to make a sound thats in my head because sound design for some aggressive dub takes so long. So I guess that would ring for me to have a carefree attitude when I'm producing and trying not to get stuck on a sound for to long if it doesn't seem to come out very nice, so I'll move to make new sound

2. What program(s) do you use for production?

A: For a DAW I use Ableton almost exclusively, though I do intend to branch out to other ones eventually for sure. Some Vsts I use are NI Massive, Rop Papens Blue and Predator to name a few. Every now and then I might break out the Arturia ARP 2600 V if I’m in the mood for some long term sound design. And also I’m in the process of using Max 4 Live which some of the sounds I’ve made with that come as close to analog as I have heard on any Vst for sure, other than the DCAM Synth squad stuff, which are also some I’ll use every now and then. Eventually I’m going to be tying in to more analog hardware. When I can afford it anyway. Haha. :P

3. How long have you been producing?

A: I started producing around March of 2010. I have not been doing this long and of course like any producer intend to keep learning more and more. I will always be a student though I try to help anyone out when I believe I can.

4. What inspired you to make electronic music?

A: I have always been keen on electronic music, as far back as I remember. Getting on the comp and seeing “Come to Daddy” music video by Aphex Twin when I was about 14-15 is the point that I knew I definitely wanted to dabble in electronic music. But it took me nearly 10 years to get around to it. :P Mainly because I was in between playing for metal bands since then and having to work as well. Also just having mixed feelings on what to do I guess. But, it’s never to late to get started! :D

5. How is the electronic music scene in New Orleans?

A: Fucking awesome from what I can tell. I’m not able to get out much from my house, since I’m not driving right now (long story haha). But from the dubstep and other dance shows I have been to such as Deadmau5 and Excision, it’s definitely got a huge base and is continually growing! A dubstep crew I’m in DUBSquadron and other local groups like Bassik and Louisiana Dubstep continually help to make this electronic music takeover thrive! Because I think that’s what is happening, electronic music is starting to show up everywhere, no matter where you live and has been for awhile now. I think the next 10 years will show the true potential of this new electronic age of music.

6. What would you say is the most popular sub genre in the electronic music scene in New Orleans?

A: It would for sure be between Dubstep and Breakbeats. Also I think Dirty Electro and Progressive House are coming into play as well. Haha, hmmm. I guess it would be a close call, but, what can I say I might just be a little biased because I have such a strong love for DubStep and might be blind to how big some of the other genres are. :P

7. Are you strongly connected within your local community of producers and djs? Nationally? Internationally?

A: Well because I don’t get out much, I reach out as much as I can across the internet to make sure I talk to both local and international artists. I for sure spend a lot of my online time chatting with everyone really. I’ve made some close friends with a lot of people in the UK and Australia especially as well as many many people across Louisiana and the US. I love to chat and listen to what everyone is working on, I love hearing new tunes! :D

8. Do you feel that the uprising of technology via the internet via sound cloud could spark a possible cultural revolution being sound cloud is a growing community of producers that produce their music out of shear ambition and not for the purpose of monetary gain?

A: Yes. No question about it. Websites like Soundcloud are pinnacle to new and fresh producers as well as professional veterans. An uprising of new creative thoughts and ideas, which can be posted up anytime of day, everyday is what we need. And well, it’s here. And I think it’s happening now. And it’s fucking awesome! Over the next few years more and more people are going to catch wind of SC and I don’t think it’s going to stop growing. Platforms like myspace ruined what could have been awesome by flooding with advertisements, but I can’t point the finger directly because they were not directly engineered for music, but for people networking. SC has filled the gap by this being the way people network is BECAUSE of music. :D

9. How many shows have you played? Any festivals?

A: I have played 0 electronic shows. 0 festivals. Haha :D I have been broke and not able to afford things to get live, but in the next month or 2 things are going to change big time, and I intend to take live shows head on! Be that I have played shows as a metal musician, I have tons of stage time, just not electronically, and I intend to take the ferocity of my the live metal shows I played to live electronics for sure, as I am going to be playing through ableton and tons of midi controllers rather than spinning it on decks. This from the help of my fellow DUBSquadron crew, shout out to them! <3

10. What other producers do you admire in the current electronic music scene?

A: First off, I admire all my close friends first who produce, they come up with creative ideas and I support them with everything I’ve got, ATEK, SpaMM Kidd, DJ D3X and all the crew from DUBSquadron (Steeza, Noogs, Robot Sex, Swalace and everyone else you know who you are. :D ) As for international acts I deffintly have mad respect for Excision (the guy is not only a genius when it comes to sound design and production but created his own successful label) and anyone else from Rottun. Of course Deadmau5, Kraddy, I could go on really and honestly.

11. Do you agree with me that dubstep really is a special genre because it has become so versatile and is increasingly so?

A: Ho man yes! I think it is one of the few genres that can dip into any well and get away with it! But I guess that’s why I love it so much. I wish I would have been listening to it back in the early years of 2001 when it was just coming about to listen to it evolve because I love both the older dub and the new dub. It must have been a wild ride. Almost like having a kid and watch him grow up to do different things with his life. I don’t believe in the idea it should have never evolved. It’s like what would have happened if no one in the 50’s decided to add distortion to guitar? I don’t really care that it’s going a little main stream especially with pop culture, if you like it you like it, if you don’t you don’t :D.

12. What producers inspired you to producer the music you produce?

A: Well, honestly and again, Excision. The first time I heard that bass of his, I was hooked, end of story haha. I just thought “fuuucckk, I want to make heavy stuff like that, that’s just awesome!”

13. Would you say your strengths lie in mixing or producing?

A: I would definitely have to say producing! Well, the sound design of producing anyway. Not only is it so much fun, I think I could really go on forever making new stuff, I love it. Mixing is something I wouldn’t call myself ace at, but because I know what I have to do when mixing and mastering my stuff, I know ahead of time how to arrange my channels and stuff inside of them before hand so I don’t have any problems down the line. So I stick to it and fine to my stuff as best I can.

14. Have you collaborated with any other producers? If not, do you plan to?

A: Yes, the newest free track I have up is a collab I did with Swalace from DubSquadron. I have 2 other collabs in the works as we speak, one with ATEK and another whom I shall not name, mainly because we’re just going to see how it works out. I also will be doing plenty and plenty of collabs with everyone in DUBSquadron, so look out for many tunes coming between now and July.

15. What are you working on currently that is not released yet to sound cloud?

A: I have 2 official remixes from an amazing artist named Oggie from the UK, both his originals and my remixes are unreleased. Both are solid bangers and take on that more fun and energetic style I was talking about earlier. And both are set to be released very soon, I’m guessing within the next few weeks or even earlier. I’m also working on about 2-3 new originals. I like to keep busy haha :D

16. What are your thoughts on your preference program for producing music?

A: Well Ableton to me is just perfect for me. It’s simple and direct to the point, but at the same time has plenty of option over control of what I want to do. It’s also the program I learned how to produce on, so I guess it has just grown on me that much. But I know this, I will always use Ableton in 1 way or another, no matter if I dip into other DAWs or not. It will always be the program I bounce my stuff to. :D It’s also going to be used for when I play live in “Clip Mode” So really I suggest it for anyone wanting to use for live electronic performance.

17. What equipment do you use to dj?

A: Well since I don’t DJ yet, or intend to spin. And are currently in the process og getting equipment, in the meantime if I was to play live right now I would be using a netbook with VDJ and a MK2 controller. But again, that is going to change soon. :D

18. How socially accepted/popular is electronic music in your area?

A: It’s accepted widely in the city, NOLA. Although it is taking awhile everywhere else surrounding the city, it’s seeping into everywhere in one shape or another. Be it, Prog House to Dubstep.

19. How do you feel about the status quo of planet earth?

A: The earth I think is coming apart quite honestly! Especially down here in NOLA, tornadoes in front of our local restaurant Panchos? In early early April? WTF? Maybe it is that time of year, but I don’t remember it like that. LOL But regardless of how it seems to be going I will continue to live out what I have been, chasing my true calling of producing electronic music and sharing it with everyone! <3

1 comment: