Monday, April 25, 2011

Interview with Distrikt

Distrikt is a dubstep producer from the Netherlands whom I discovered via sound cloud.

1. How would you describe your music? How would you descibe both your method and and attitude towards producing electronic music?

A: I would describe my style as next generation dubstep. I always try to add new and unusual elements to my tracks, To my opinion straight up wubs are overdone.. you dont hear much musicality anymore. Producers now a days spend more time on the technical stuff, instead of working on the arrangement and making it sound like music..

2. What program(s) do you use for production?

A: I use a lot of different sequencers while making my tracks. I personally love to make some sounds first in Ableton Live or Fl Studio. and then render them out as wav so i can tweak around with them a litte more, When i record my vocals or doing a mixdown I use Logic or either Protools. Then you get that quality sound!

3. How long have you been producing?

A: I've Been producing since i was a little kid. I think i was 11. Spending days on making Hiphop Beats and producing styles such as Breakcore, Drum and Bass, Ambient, Minimal, Dancehall, Reggae and so on.. i also played in a lot of bands in different genres such as : Funk, Nu-metal, Soul, Ska, Reggae. With singing, keys, drums and percussion as my main instruments.

This is what i try to bring forward in my music. i try to approach dubstep more as a song in the arrangement then just straight up Intro... Drop... Kick in...16bars..intro... drop...

4. What inspired you to make electronic music?

A: I started with making electronic music because of my bands. I always had riffs and lines in my head which i could'nt explain to others. This frustrated me so much that I started my own one-man -band.. recording everything myself.

5. How is the electronic music scene in the Netherlands?

A: There is a very broad electronic scene In The Netherlands. On this moment the most popular styles in music are Dirty Dutch, House, Fidget and Dubstep. I love the dubstep and fidget crowd the most coz they usually go bananas ;)

6. What would you say is the most popular sub genre in the electronic music scene in the Netherlands?

A: Electro/House

7. Are you connected?

A: Yes always have been. nationally and internationally.

8. Do you feel that the uprising of technology via the internet via sound cloud could spark a possible cultural revolution being sound cloud is a growing community of producers that produce their music out of shear ambition and not for the purpose of monetary gain?

A: The Internet has really helped me to get where I am now. Good producers always have to charge money for their work. coz it's their work and they need to make a living as well.
I think it's fine that beginners get their chances to drop their music online and let others check it out and comment on it. Though i think that if you dont have any musicality in you, that you should'nt pollute the scene with it, coz you get so much more crap on the market by making it this easy to spread you music. Wait till you know you've got a killertrack that is well mixed and well produced. You'll have so much more in hands then.

9. How many shows have you played? Any festivals?

A: With my bands i played on a lot of festivals. But this is the first year i'm going to be spinning records on festivals worldwide.
As a Dj i have done like 65 Gigs now. coz this is the first year I'm actually doing gigs as a DJ

10. What other producers do you admire in the current electronic music scene?

A: I'm a underground music lover but also like the upcoming artists, shout out to : Sinister Souls, Robokop, Affe Maria, Zjasp-Air, Devnik, Eptic, Jogo, Torqux, Stereologue, Kaizoku,
My unchanged personal favorites remained the same : NOISIA! The best in sounddesign mixdowns and arrangements to my opinion.

11. Do you agree with me that dubstep really is a special genre because it has become so versatile and is increasingly so?

A: Yes, What I love about Dubstep the most is that I can go in different ways with each track.. sometimes i have a track and i just make 4 versions of it and then decide which version i'm using.

12. What producers inspired you to producer the music you produce?

A: Producers like Dimlite, Louis Bordeaux, Broken Note, Trentemoller, J.Dilla and Flying Lotus

13. Would you say your strengths lie in mixing or producing?

A: Then I would say producing. I do all my mixdowns myself as well, and even tho I let my tracks being mastered, for some reason i always like my own version the most.
But because i spend so much time with my bands back in the days i have som many different approaches to a song which really helps me in the proces of the making.

14. Have you collaborated with any other producers? If not, do you plan to?

A: Yes done lots of collabs. Have an E.P. Coming up With Robokop (FIRE EP) Forthcoming on MWM-Recordings (NL). Also an E.P. Coming with my crazy ape Affe Maria Forthcoming on Betamorph recordings (USA) I recently did a couple of tracks with Zjasp-Air, One of them (Printer Drive-By) is now out on Chronos Recordings(UK) On the Farmville EP. Also have an EP upcoming with Torrid Dubstep from Belgium. (Basscake EP) More info about that soon. also plan to do collabs soon with N1cksn, Sinister Souls, Sterelogue, Korkey Buchek and more...

15. What are you working on currently that is not released yet to sound cloud?

A: Im working on a lot of new things but i'm not telling you yet. What i will tell you is that I recently did a 5 track EP for an artist who you will here about in the upcoming months.
I will also be giving away some fresh Freebees soon so be on the look out! ;)

16. What are your thoughts on your preference program for producing music?

A: Like i said i'm using multiple sequencers so every one has its ups and downs..

17. What equipment do you use to dj?

A: Pioneer Cdj 350's White editions and a Reloop RMX-40 DSP LTD (Mixer). Can also spin with traktor But i don't like that as much as the feel of Cd's or either vinyl. I think traktor is more for the deejays that cant count theirselfs. Being like SYNC SYNC SYNC SYNC and then still " trainwrecking" in every transition...

18. How socially accepted/popular is electronic music in your area?

A: When I spin in The Netherlands i always get a decent crowd bangin with me.. 2 months ago when the farmville e.p. got released My label came up to me with the question if they could do my gigs in the future. so then i will be spinning more through Europe. In my hometown I always get the crowd going :)

19. How do you feel about the status quo of planet earth?

A: Que? Dubstep is taking over! Keep it filthy but keep it musical as well! PO!

No comments:

Post a Comment